New York Education Law Section 409-H effective July 1, 2001, requires all public and non-public elementary and secondary schools to provide written notification to all persons in parental relation, faculty and staff regarding the potential use of pesticides periodically throughout the year and at the end of the school year listing all pesticide applications. The Holley Central School District is required to maintain a list of persons in parental relations, faculty, and/or staff who wish to receive 48-hours prior written notification of certain pesticide applications. The following pesticide applications are not subject to prior notification requirements:
- A school remains unoccupied for a continuous 72-hours following an application;
- Anti-microbial products;
- Non-volatile rodenticides in tamper resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children;
- Non-volatile insecticidal baits in tamper resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children;
- Silica gel and other non-volatile ready-to-use pastes, foams or gels in areas inaccessible to children;
- Boric acid and disodium octaborate tetrahydrate;
- The application of EPA designated biopesticides;
- The application of EPA designated exempt materials under 40 CFR152.25;
- The use of aerosol products with a direct spray in containers of 18 fluid ounces or less when used to protect individuals from an imminent threat from stinging and biting insects, including venomous spiders, bees, wasps and hornets.
In the event of an emergency application necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human health, a good faith effort will be made to supply written notification to those on the 48-hour prior notification list. If you wish to be on the prior notice list, please contact in writing John Sherman, Director of Facilities.
If you would like to receive 48-hour prior notification of pesticide applications that are scheduled to occur in Holley Central Schools, please include your name, address, phone number and return it to Holley Central School District, 3800 N. Main St., Holley, NY 14470. Attention: John Sherman, Director of Facilities.